Re: [Hampshire] OT: co-location

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: co-location

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Tom Sykes wrote:

> I've been looking in to various options here, but have discovered that
> most colo providers are now imposing power usage caps, usually of
> between 0.5A and 1.0A. This scares me somewhat, as my current server
> (Dell PE1425 - dual Xeon) is using 1.8A.
>
> Where on earth does one find a 1U server that consumes only 0.5A of power??

Apparently getting enough power into a building can be a real issues these
days, especially in London.

>From your earlier description of your needs I really think you would be

better off with a virtual server.

Co-locating your own server is fine if you have a real requirement for it,
but a very expensive option just to host a few websites and handle email.

Using a virtual server is both cheaper and a lot less hassle, allowing you
to let the hosting company look after all the hardware issues including
hosting/power consumption/maintenance etc. and assuming you had a decent
backup strategy it would also likely allow you to be up and running
quicker in the case of a hardware failure.

Andy