Re: [Hampshire] OT: co-location

Author: Tom Sykes
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: co-location
Andy Random wrote:
> Apparently getting enough power into a building can be a real issues these
> days, especially in London.
>
> From your earlier description of your needs I really think you would be
> better off with a virtual server.
>
> Co-locating your own server is fine if you have a real requirement for it,
> but a very expensive option just to host a few websites and handle email.
>
> Using a virtual server is both cheaper and a lot less hassle, allowing you
> to let the hosting company look after all the hardware issues including
> hosting/power consumption/maintenance etc. and assuming you had a decent
> backup strategy it would also likely allow you to be up and running
> quicker in the case of a hardware failure.

You're probably right, however I do have a couple of tomcat instances
and a couple of other memory intensive apps running. My current memory
usage is running at just under 1Gig. Getting a VDS with that much memory
isn't really cost effective, although there is the advantage of not
having to maintain any hardware.

What I was investigating doing was running two Xen hosts, personally
having a guest on each machine (giving me redundancy) and renting the
other guests out to those in a similar position. Kind of like these guys
have done
http://www.xen-hosting.org/

My calculations so far are looking pretty favourable, but the only
hindrance was the power consumption limitations. I am also considering
using dedicated servers for the host machines.

If anyone is interested, let me know off list.

Tom