Re: [Hampshire] Corrupt files over bittorrent

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Corrupt files over bittorrent

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57413100.hantslug.org.uk.29794': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Aug 2 18:06:27 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 04:31:54PM +0100, Allen Brooker wrote:
> Rob Malpass wrote:
> > Has anybody had any problems downloading files via BitTorrent? I've
> > downloaded a couple of isos and neither are coming up with the right
> > md5sums. I'm not sure how common corrupt files are over torrent - so
> > if I've just been unlucky - then fine - but otherwise I think I might
> > either download via ftp or buy the disk (Slackware 11).
>
> With most good clients, it's impossible to have corrupt files. As part
> of the protocol, bittorrent includes sumchecking for individual chunks
> (and subsequently whole files). If you can download the same file twice
> and get the same wrong checksum, then that usually means your source is
> shipping corrupt (or atleast incorrect) files and you should report it.

Note that Linux ISOs have been seeded from non-official trackers
before and have been found to contain trojans. Always check the
md5sum from the official web site.

Cheers,
Andy