Re: [Hampshire] Request for email users...

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Request for email users...
Andy Random wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Paul Tansom wrote:
>

>> Andy what's wrong with having a phone without a browser?
>>

> Nothing if you are my sister and only use a phone to call the AA or remind
> your husband to buy milk on the way home... but if you are a confirmed
> techno-geek like Tony (or to be honest most other people here:) then it
> seems like something of an omission to me.
>
> Then again maybe I'm biased, I've been using a PDA phone for the last 5
> year.
>

>> All that said I'm on the lookout for a new phone as the T210 is less
>> functional and less reliable than the 7110. The trouble is I can't find
>> quite the right spec. In particular a phone with WiFi so I can install a
>> SIP client on
>>

> I'm looking for a new phone as well I'm tempted by the Nokia E90, which
> has WiFi but I've no idea if it will run a SIP client. There is also the
> Sony Ericsson P1i, same comment there, it has WiFi but no idea about SIP.
>
> I think Adrian had a SIP capable mobile phone, not sure what it is though.
>
> Andy

I have a Nokia E65, running SIP successfully., though you *do* need the
charger plugged in when using WiFi - it *eats* battery! The other caveat
with SIP is that you need 1Mb connection speed minimum for decent call
quality. 512Kbps works, but very long lag times. Maybe acceptable to
geeks, but not to the likes of my wife whose WPM rate increases
threefold every time she picks up a handset.

Bar that though, it's very satisfying knowing that the big mobile phone
networks are unable to rip you off wherever there's WiFi.

It's worth noting that the likes of Vodafone try to cripple some of the
firmware in various handsets to prevent exactly this sort of thing. You
can get around it with fring www.fring.com or trufone applications which
route packets around the filters they install.

jfk

--
Jack Knight
Chief Technical Officer