Re: [Hampshire] DVD writers with SATA and Lightscribe

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD writers with SATA and Lightscribe
Philip Stubbs wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was thinking that it was about time that I bought a DVD writer. I
> have in mind a Samsung SATA device with Lightscribe. Can anybody say
> if I am likely to have any problems with a SATA Optical drive? I
> have only used IDE drives in the past.

Hi Philip,

I thought about buying one myself and have only heard positive things
about Samsung - in particular how quiet they are. I am afraid that I
can't comment on the Linux aspect or speak from experience, but given
that they come in at less than 20 quid at ebuyer it's not a huge risk to
take given that you will probably be able to flog it on to a Windows
user for pretty much what you paid for it if it does fall short of
requirements.

Sean