Re: [Hampshire] Hosting and Event/meeting at an employer

Author: Jacqui caren
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hosting and Event/meeting at an employer
Adam Trickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering, for those people who convinced an employer to let them host a
> technical event such as a LUG meeting on site, what hoops did they have to
> jump through to be allowed to host the meeting?
>
> I assume there was the sign in and sign out and you have to be in attendance
> at all times, and make sure everything is in order, but what other things did
> they expect you to do?
>
> We have plenty of large meeting rooms at work and we could easily host a LUG
> day, we have projectors/screens, plenty of tables and chairs and
> non-corporate network Internet access. I think we can also cordon of the
> building so the access is restricted.

This sounds ideal.

> If I did ask I know there would the obvious concerns, but I wondered what was
> reasonable and what have people put up with? The recent ThamesValley Perl
> Mongers meeting took place in a commercial office space, and I know banks
> have hosted technical meetings before now for the London Perl Mongers.

Parking - the Surrey LUG meets at Redhat were great but on a busy day
parking could be difficult - and I have been hit with a ticket in the
Research Park and now take parking very seriously at that locale.

Help tidy up

At my last employer we used the big meeting room once for a non-work
Friday evening event - I think it was Tai-Chi? The place was left
"untidy" (chairs and desks out of place etc) and a big client was due in
Monday AM for a presentation - the "disorder" was frowned upon and the
class was cancelled.

I doubt any employer would be as anal as the UK upper management when I
was there, but it does not cost much to hang around at
the end and help pick up sweetie wrappers and straighten chairs.