Re: [Hampshire] Ethernet over mains

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ethernet over mains
hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 Aug 2007 20:37, Alan Pope wrote:
>
>> They really are plug and play.

My 2p worth having bought a pair to use as a temporary solution to
provide Internet access during an office move and waiting for NTL to
move the termination points. They work pretty well, but with the
following caveats:

1. They act as a bridge, so set them up behind a router accordingly if
you don't want your entire network slowing down to the lowest common
denominator of bandwidth available
2. "Equipment like vacuum cleaners, drills etc. which feed back noise
onto the power line can *destroy* the connection totally while in use.
It restores when the offending piece of equipment is turned off however,
but be warned
3. They won't traverse multiple powerline circuits from the fuse box

> Quite! Just like plugging in a cat5 cable. I still can't quite believe that
> a wireless alternative can be quite so simple.

Almost!
> Lisi

jfk