Re: [Hampshire] Ethernet over mains

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ethernet over mains
hantslug@??? wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 Aug 2007 20:37, Alan Pope wrote:
>> They really are plug and play.
>
> Quite! Just like plugging in a cat5 cable. I still can't quite believe that
> a wireless alternative can be quite so simple.
>
> Lisi

My experiences have been quite good too. We use them for home-workers
to get their ADSL router connected to the room of their choice. They're
also handy for setting up temporary workstations in an 'unwired' office.
Only gotcha is if you have a three-phase supply. Obviously the units
have to be on the same phase.

Not quite plug and play since the units use a default password. I
believe there is a Linux utility from the manufacturer to change them
but I used a nearby Windows PC and the supplied CD to set the passwords.

If you don't change the passwords then supposedly there's the
possibility that someone could join your network with a rogue unit.
Does anyone know if this is physically possible from an adjacent property?

Simon