[Hampshire] Re: Hampshire] Cascading routers to create indep…

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: Hampshire] Cascading routers to create independant LAN ... ?
This is exaclty how my home LAN is configured.

I have a Netgear ADSL router that connects everything to the Internet.
This is configured to use 10.1.1.x as its subnet internally.

Then I have a netgear Wireless Router that is connected to the Other
Router and is configured to use 192.168.0.x as its subnet.
All of the devices on the 10.1.1.x subnet are reachable from the
192.168.0.x sub but nothing is visible in the reverse direction.

So, If you want your lodgers to have internet access then I would give
them their own subnet and have all your stuff on a different subnet with
everything connected by the lower network (10.1.1.x) in my case.

My network printers are on the 10.1.1.x subnet and DHCP is disabled.
My wireless LAN has DHCP enabled but all my NIC's are configured so any
unknown NIC will not be connected by DHCP.

Regards,
Stephen D