Re: [Hampshire] Cascading routers to create an independent L…

Author: x3n0
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cascading routers to create an independent LAN ... ?
Stephen D said:-

This is exaclty how my home LAN is configured.

> I have a Netgear ADSL router that connects everything to the Internet.
> This is configured to use 10.1.1.x as its subnet internally.
>
> Then I have a netgear Wireless Router that is connected to the Other
> Router and is configured to use 192.168.0.x as its subnet.
> All of the devices on the 10.1.1.x subnet are reachable from the
> 192.168.0.x sub but nothing is visible in the reverse direction.
>
> So, If you want your lodgers to have internet access then I would give
> them their own subnet and have all your stuff on a different subnet with
> everything connected by the lower network (10.1.1.x) in my case.
>
> My network printers are on the 10.1.1.x subnet and DHCP is disabled.
> My wireless LAN has DHCP enabled but all my NIC's are configured so any
> unknown NIC will not be connected by DHCP.

This has given me an idea or two.

Would this make any sense...
http://x3n0.471.googlepages.com/home
Would it even work...?

Rather than having lodgers in a DMZ....

Two independent networks, that share resources served within the DMZ. As
well as hosting an intranet and website.

Where within the network would be best to have an authentication
server reside?

Thanks for any advice.

AC