Re: [Hampshire] Aiptek Graphics Tablets

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Aiptek Graphics Tablets
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:35:12 +0100
Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???> wrote:

> Following the discussion about tablets I thought I'd point out a
> great page in case you've got hold of an Aiptek tablet. The drivers
> currently in the system (2.6.22) aren't working but this page gives
> simple instructions which work on Debian unstable as well as
> Ubuntu. Took about 5 mins and now my dusty old tablet is useful
> rather than junk. Gimp with pressure sensitivity is such fun!

Just done an aptitude full-upgrade which included the latest Gimp
stuff (ver 2.4.0rc-1) and noticed a pressure sensitivity setting
which may have been there before but which I hadn't noticed..

Years ago I used a graphics tablet with a cad package* to
do office floor layouts and it was so much easier than using a mouse.

*Generic Cad - a 2d dos based app. I could never get on with gui
based cad apps afterwards, using the command line was so much more
intuitive :-)

The pre-gui version of Autocad (I had a copy of Ver. 10 on 5.25"
disks that didn't need a dongle) was very similar in its use of the
command line.

I've tried installing Generic Cad in dosbox but it doesn't like
modern graphics and of course I don't have a tablet these days.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package