Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Splicing UTP Ethernet

Top Page
Author: Dave Walker
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Splicing UTP Ethernet

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x583fb100.hantslug.org.uk.24720': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Aug 25 16:11:28 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key D17910D5904A3269
On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 15:39 +0100, Vic wrote:
<SNIP>

> I want to extend some UTP cables I've got. Re-running them is not an
> option (someone laid carpet over them...). And I don't want any mechanical
> nastiness (the join will be under the floorboards, and a carpet is going
> down on Tuesday).

<SNIP>

Hi Vic,

In my experience the actual outer sheath isn't so important. The
important thing is to have clean connections and maintain the twists.
Without this, you will introduce interference; which normally means that
you need to 'fiddle' with the join to make it work.

If you cut, and solder the ends together; with the twists maintained -
it *should* work. However, if you already have an RJ45 connection on
the end; i would be inclined to use an in-line coupler*. It is quite
surprising how vulnerable cat5 is to interference.

* http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/28397

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker