Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Splicing UTP Ethernet

Author: alan c
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Splicing UTP Ethernet
Vic wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Not remotely Linux-related, I know, but you guys are the font of all
> knowledge... :-)
>
> I want to extend some UTP cables I've got. Re-running them is not an
> option (someone laid carpet over them...). And I don't want any mechanical
> nastiness (the join will be under the floorboards, and a carpet is going
> down on Tuesday).
>
> So does anyone know how to do a proper splice? I want to be able to run
> gigabit ethernet over this link, so a Stanley knife and a bit of insulting
> tape isn't going to hack it...

If I had to, I would identify the pairs, and plan as mentioned in
another message, to maintain the twists. I would cut each pair so that
the two joints were staggered slightly, to make insulation between
joints more reliable. I would strip about 5mm and twist and solder
each wire in the pair. With the extra insulation and soldering, the
complete cable repair is likely to be several times the original
diameter. Any interference problems will probably result in a reduced
speed, and may not be easy to track down. Unless you guess where. The
suggestion of an inline coupler is a good one, but DIY fitting new
connectors onto cut cable ends is not that easy. I do it on a home
basis, but have not measured speed of the cables. The wire pairs have
to be identified (not easy without familiarity they are
multicoloured), and then positioned, maybe cropped to length, held,
then crimped (hard by hand unless you are a strong person). Generally,
not good news if the carpets are on their way.

good luck
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391