[Hampshire] Graphics card problems (slightly OT)

Author: Samuel Penn
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Graphics card problems (slightly OT)

Hi all,

I have an NVIDIA 6800GT which has been working fine for the
last couple of years. Tonight, I switched off the monitor
to go shopping, came back and when I switched the monitor
on, I just get a "No Video Input" from the monitor.

The PC is itself running fine (Gentoo, AMD64, Asus SLI
motherboard). I can attach my laptop to the monitor via
DSUB cable, and that works. DVI from the PC seems to be
producing nothing however. I've also tried using a
DVI to DSUB converter in case it was the cable, but the
card seems to be producing no output (in this test, it's
going into the same monitor input as my laptop was).

I've also tried both DVI outputs from the card, though
no idea whether it automatically switches depending on
which one is plugged in.

This is unlikely to be a Linux, since I get nothing on
boot at all (no motherboard splash screen, no BIOS config,
no GRUB etc). The monitor does sometimes flicker into life,
as if it's picking up a brief signal, then switches back
into sleep mode.

There's a light on the graphics card board, so it has power
and the fan on it is working. I've taken it out, dusted it,
and put it back in, and still no luck. I've also left it
all switched off for about an hour to cool down, but still
nothing.

Though it's an SLI motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI Delux) and an
SLI card, I only have a single graphics card in there.

Which brings me to two questions. Firstly, is there anything
else I can do to pin down the problem? It seems likely to be
either the card or the motherboard, and I'm not sure how to
test which it is without buying another card.

Secondly, if I did buy a new graphics card, how upwards
compatible are motherboards? If I were to buy an 8600
(instead of the current 6800), would it just work (assuming
the Linux drivers for it work, which I think they do)?

Thanks.

--
Be seeing you,            Web: www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                    GTalk: sam@???