Re: [Hampshire] Graphics card problems (slightly OT)

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Graphics card problems (slightly OT)
Samuel Penn wrote:
>> Seriously, having had an 6800 that sounded like a hovercraft at close
>> range, I can say my 8800 runs cool, quiet and really fast.
>>

> Hmm, interesting. My card *is* noisy, so it sounds like a good
> reason to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Joking aside, the BFG 6800 was really loud - distractingly so - whereas
the 8800 is /much/ quieter. The 8800s are coming down in price now, and
as I say my system* is running everything at 1280x1024 with hardly any
heat and noise.

>> I have just
>> returned from a session on the other OS playing Bioshock with all the
>> bells and whistles enabled. What a great game! More than the odd nod to
>> Lost and lots of great gameplay and surprises.
>>

> But does it run on Linux? I've got just enough games to keep me
> occupied on Linux to not need to dual boot. Medieval Total War II
> is tempting though...

No, sadly not. I keep a 60GB partition for XP so that I can dual-boot
for non-Linux gaming frolics, although I do play all of my favourite ID
games under Linux; I am just reaching the end of Doom 3 again and am
looking forward to 'Enemy Territory: Quake Wars' when it comes out, as
we have been promised that it too will run natively.

Glad you got your problem sorted btw. If nothing else it means that a
perfectly good graphics card stays off the scrap heap!

Sean

*
Motherboard: ASRock 775Dual-VSTA
Processor: Intel Core 2 6600
Memory: 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-5300C3
Graphics Card: BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB GDDR3
Case: Antec P150 UK Mid-Tower Case Aluminium - with NEO-HE 430W PSU