Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dbmail
On Wednesday 05 September 2007 22:21:28 James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> imap is a horrible protocol. For a web based front end, one needs the
> server to do all the clever stuff. Very little clever stuff can be
> done via the imap protocol. E.g. Tagging emails as spam at the web
> front end, so that the server's spam trap can learn.

> imap does not handle spam tagging, address books, calenders or mail
> rules/filters.

It can do. Try connecting to an Exchange server using IMAP - all
the calendar data etc is accessible. It just needs a client/server
that can interpret it. I think some of the various Linux groupware
solutions do something similar, though I've never installed them
so I'm not sure.

Addressbook information can be stored with LDAP. Filter rules can
be accessed using Sieve. IMAP does what it's supposed to do - allow
you to access email. There are other protocols which already handle
the rest of the functionality you want.

You may want to have a look at something like www.kolab.org,
though it's not the only solution going down this route.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???