Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dbmail
> imap is a horrible protocol.

IMAP is a superb protocol.

> For a web based front end, one needs the
> server to do all the clever stuff.

Yes. That's the whole point of web-based services; let the client handle
the rendering, while the server does everything else.

> Very little clever stuff can be
> done via the imap protocol. E.g. Tagging emails as spam at the web
> front end, so that the server's spam trap can learn.

Is that so? I must be hallucinating again. Somehow my Squrrelmail
installation does just that (albeit by a slightly circuitous route). Must
be the drugs...

> imap does not handle spam tagging, address books, calenders or mail
> rules/filters.

IMAP is the Internet Message Access Protocol. If you want Access to
Internet Messages, it is the right Protocol to use.

Anything else does not fall within that remit - so of course it doesn't do
it. That's a feature, not a problem. You want to do calendars, etc.? Use
the right protocol for the job.

Youmight as well be moaning it doesn't encode to MP3...

> But, with something like Roundcube directly linked to a mysql database
> for address book, emails, attachments, calenders, and also user
> definable searches and indexes one would have a much better email
> client, particularly for low bandwidth remote links. (e.g. GPRS mobile
> links).

...And none of that is IMAP's responsibility, nor is it implemented via
IMAP. IMAP is how you get access to a remote mailbox - that's all it's
designed for, and it does it very well.

Vic.