Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

On Wed, September 5, 2007 23:18, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 22:46:08 +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
>
>> > imap does not handle spam tagging, address books, calenders or mail
>> > rules/filters.
>>
>> It can do. Try connecting to an Exchange server using IMAP - all
>> the calendar data etc is accessible. It just needs a client/server
>> that can interpret it.
>
> My memory of being in charge of an Exchange 5.x installation was
> that this wasn't actually available over standard IMAP - which is
> why clients such as Mozilla's fail to see calender requests properly.

When I was debugging the IMAP connection to exchange some years
back (with telnet, to get KMail talking to it), some calendar
information was in the IMAP folders. I don't think it was all
the data, but what was there was accessible using IMAP commands.
Of course, interpreting that data in a useful way is a completely
different matter.

At the end of the day, an email message is just text with some
headers. You _could_ format an email such that it stored calendar
or address info (or even use an email with a vcard or ical
attachment), and access that using IMAP.

I wouldn't recommend this however - there are much better ways of
doing it using other protocols which are designed for the task.

--
Be seeing you,            Web: www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                    GTalk: sam@???