[Hampshire] CUPS problem

Author: HantsLUG Mail
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] CUPS problem
I am trying ot get an HP printer (HP Photosmart D7160) going with CUPS.
Initially it wopuld print a test page from CUPS, now it will print nothing.

>From the CUPS web interface

<quote>

HP_Photoprinter <http://localhost:631/printers/HP_Photoprinter>

HP_Photoprinter <http://localhost:631/printers/HP_Photoprinter> HP
PhotoSmart D7100 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)

<http://localhost:631/printers/HP_Photoprinter> Description:
Location:
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: canon_usb:/dev/usb/lp0
</quote> (Sorry about the HTML - I don't usually mail from Gmail and I am
not very skilled at it. :-( )

>From the jobs page

<quote>
Jobs

No Active Jobs
</quote>

>From the completed jobs page:

<quote>
Jobs

ID Name User Size State Control

HP_Photoprinter <http://localhost:631/printers/HP_Photoprinter>-1 Test
Page root 15k completed at
Thu 06 Sep 2007 11:30:16 AM BST [image: Restart
Job]<http://localhost:631/jobs/?op=restart-job&job_id=1&job_printer_uri=/printers/HP_Photoprinter>
HP_Photoprinter <http://localhost:631/printers/HP_Photoprinter>-2 Test
Page root 15k completed at
Thu 06 Sep 2007 11:44:07 AM BST [image: Restart
Job]<http://localhost:631/jobs/?op=restart-job&job_id=2&job_printer_uri=/printers/HP_Photoprinter>
HP_Photoprinter <http://localhost:631/printers/HP_Photoprinter>-3
Acro000VaZdYn susan 300k completed at
Thu 06 Sep 2007 12:09:57 PM BST [image: Restart
Job]<http://localhost:631/jobs/?op=restart-job&job_id=3&job_printer_uri=/printers/HP_Photoprinter>

[image: Show Active Jobs] <http://localhost:631/jobs>
</quote>

But there is no output at all from the printer - including a lack of error
messages.

The printer can print a test page from itself - just ignores the computer.
I have uninstalled and then reinstalled both CUPS and hplip. I have
googled. If it were a hardware problem, including a cable problem, then I
would have expected an error message of some kind in CUPS.

I obviously have to test the USB cable. I haven't got a spare USB cable here
unfortunately. Has anyone any other ideas I can try (before driving 5 miles
home and coming back - possibly not today - with a known good USB cable.)

TIA
Lisi