Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Tony Whitmore, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dbmail
On 05/09/07, Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:35:49AM +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > If you're going to write a webmail interface for it, then you
> > may be better off figuring out how to do a decent and fast
> > webmail interface to IMAP (at least in the sense of it being
> > of use to more people, if you just have an itch, then that
> > doesn't really matter).
> >
> > Squirrelmail does the job, but I'd like something better.
>
> Samuel,
>
> You might like to download the mail client round-up from the last LUG meeting
> from:
> http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TechTalks/4thAugust2007
>
> I demonstrate the Roundcube webmail package in this interesting set of demos.
>
> Tony

Thank you everyone for the replies. Roundcube seems to be almost there.
imap is a horrible protocol. For a web based front end, one needs the
server to do all the clever stuff. Very little clever stuff can be
done via the imap protocol. E.g. Tagging emails as spam at the web
front end, so that the server's spam trap can learn.
imap does not handle spam tagging, address books, calenders or mail
rules/filters.
But, with something like Roundcube directly linked to a mysql database
for address book, emails, attachments, calenders, and also user
definable searches and indexes one would have a much better email
client, particularly for low bandwidth remote links. (e.g. GPRS mobile
links).