Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Dabs.com vs. the OFT

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Dabs.com vs. the OFT
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:26:17 +0100, cgdennis@??? said:

> Those of you who ever by stuff online from Dabs may be interested in
> this recent news

The other aspect that changed silently very recently is of interest to
VAT-registered companies. They used to make a "credit card charge" of 2.5%,
although they would discount the order by the same amount. Net result if
you are a consumer or non-VAT registered business is zero. However,
because credit card charges do not attract VAT, the 2.5% went entirely to
Dabs rather than (17.5% of 2.5%) going to the VAT man, and thus
reclaimable by VAT registered businesses. Mounts up if you place
significant orders.

I'm aware of other companies being investigated by HMR&C for this kind of
thing, although I don't know if Dabs were. However, they stopped doing
this a couple of months ago.

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |       http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk      |