Re: [Hampshire] Older PCs that have USB Boot for FreeNAS

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Older PCs that have USB Boot for FreeNAS
Thanks for the replies guys.

Thats a very good point about power. At the moment I'm used to turning
the FreeNAS on and leaving it running all day, then power off at the
end of the day. I do not use it every day. Ideally a NAS should be an
"always on" resource.

The nice thing about FreeNAS is software raid and (IMO) it's clean web
interface. I'm experimentally trying RAID0 with two Samsung 20Gb IDE
HDDs and the thing just flies. It serves up media to my Media Center
very quickly. I can even share using UPnP which is a newer media
sharing technology that requires little or no configuration.

I have a USB2 WD "MyBook", essentially a 250Gb in a USB2 enclosure
with seperate PSU. I assume I could have up to two of these with the
SLUG? Are there any recommended alternatives to the SLUG?

Cheers