Re: [Hampshire] [OT] MP3 player suggestions?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] MP3 player suggestions?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Samuel Penn wrote:

>> 2) Decent battery life & ability to use standard batteries. I want
>> something which runs on AA or AAA batteries rather than having a built in
>> re-chargeable battery.
>
> Why? The first bit I understand, but I find re-chargeable a lot more
> useful.

I've had bad experiences with re-chargeable batteries. I often don't use a
device for a week or two and find the shelf life of rechargeables to be
very poor, and despite what anyone says about modern batteries being much
better I always find they lose capacity too quickly for my liking.

I do use re-chargeable AA/AAA batteries on occasion, but at least there I
can easily replaced them when they fail and carry a spare set of
non-rechargeable batteries that have a long shelf life as backup.

> The phone came free with the contract (no idea what the contract is,
> since it's a company mobile so I never see the bill, but it's not going
> to be anything fancy).

I have a PDA phone which includes an MP3 player and uses Sony MS storage,
but I already have enough issues with battery life on it from using it as
a PDA without adding to them by using it as an MP3 player and it has a
non-standard headphone connector (to support a mic as well as stereo I
guess) so I can't use the headphones of my choice with it and don't really
like the ones which came with the phone.

Andy