Re: [Hampshire] Boot disk/liveCD for Windows recovery?

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Boot disk/liveCD for Windows recovery?
On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 12:46:09 -0400 (-0400), Andy Random wrot:
> So if i have a corrupt/virus infested M$ Windows machine and I want
> to recover data from it what do people suggest?

I'd be tempted to suggest BartPE (though I've yet to actually build
one that works (I only had SP1 to hand). http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I've also used knoppix and the captive tools to do NTFS-RW to stop
virus auto-starting. Normally though, I just reboot into safe mode
and then run shedloads of AV tools (AVG, er another I've swapped to,
spybot, adaware, autoruns, etc)

Adrian