Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy
Tony Whitmore wrote:
> John Cooper wrote:
>
>> Tony Whitmore wrote:
>>
>>> 2 years is a loooong time in FLOSS. For example, Novell have killed off
>>> OpenExchange Server, which was frankly never up to much anyway. There is
>>> a spin-off project but it hasn't gone anywhere, in all honesty.
>>>
>>> And Zimbra has come on to the scene since.
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>

>> and Open-Xchange has taken its place.
>>

> The FLOSS version of the project is missing the bit that makes it of
> interest to lots of businesses i.e. the Outlook connector.
>
> And I still don't think it's up to much. The major thing going for it in
> its previous guise was the backing of a well-known company like Novell.
> It doesn't have that now and I don't see lots of companies taking it up
> when the current business drives are for integration with PDAs and
> existing software. It doesn't seem to be packaged by any distros either,
> AFAICT.
>
> Tony

They are working hard to break in to the MS Exchange market. The new
express edition uses Ubuntu but when I tried it I couldn't logon as
admin so didn't look any further. The community edition does have the
Outlook plugins available but obviously not supported. It is also a pig
to install even with community written scripts to help.

http://www.open-xchange.com/header/community_area/openxchange_server_08x_archive/download_archive.html

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk