Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy
Graham <graham@???> wrote:
> But unlike Linux you can create a setup and
> manage a network without knowing anything.

....then the resulting mess is passed on to someone
else [1] to try to maintain.

> I really disagree this is the case. 'Setting
> up' AD is literally about 4 clicks -- 5 minutes.

Really? I don't think I could do it that quickly.

Vic - how long did it take you to get that
replacement 2k Server and Exchange box going for
The Society? Something like five to ten working
days to iron out all the bugs, wasn't it?

> I'd sooner look after the equivalent Linux
> setup,

Me too. Set-up of a Linux box may take longer, but
in my experience it requires far less maintenance.

> but a Business can find a Windows admin for 18k
> who can run through a wizard or two. Ignoring
> the amount of extra time the Linux box will take
> to set up, the cost of the Linux admin to do it
> would be a multiple of the Windows admin.

I'm a Linux admin [2], and I'm only UKP 22k.

I think Windows and I have serious philosophical
differences. I often hear that it's easy to set up
and maintain, but Windows just doesn't seem to
work the way I think. Linux isn't easy - or
perfect - but all the problems I've met have been
tractable.

Maybe it just doesn't like me. :-)

Nick.

[1] i.e. Me. Irezbag Flfgrzf Ygq, I'm looking at
    you.
[2] Ok, one-man IT department and middle-manager.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.