Re: [Hampshire] [OT] 3 monitors, 1 PC

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] 3 monitors, 1 PC

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56723100.hantslug.org.uk.10307': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Sep 25 09:37:23 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi Rob,
On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 20:18 +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> During the recent Northern Rock crisis, I noticed the "trend" now
> amongst power users seems to be three monitors (presumably driven by
> the same PC) arranged in a sort of horse shoe.

Very common in network/system monitoring environments and as you
noticed, banks.

> Just wondering how this is achieved - anybody know if it's 3 ports on
> one card

A matrox parhelia is one such card. A friend of mine has one and uses it
with 3 projectors to give a very very large desktop :)

> or one via the onboard and two via a card etc?

That would also work.

> Presume easy to setup on Linux?

It is very easy if you have nvidia cards and use the nasty binary-only
video driver. Nvidia call it "twinview" when you run two screens off one
card.

Like this:-

http://gallery.popey.com/gallery/misc/dsc02499

But it is also doable using xinerama.

> Also, for ease of googling - what's the search term "triohead" as
> opposed to dualhead?

Having 3 heads is just one step up from 2. So once you understand how to
get 2 heads working it's trivial to add the third.

Cheers,
Al.