Re: [Hampshire] gnome-settings-daemon in ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy)

Author: Jack Knight (OSM EU)
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] gnome-settings-daemon in ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy)
Philip Stubbs wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A few days ago, I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10. As expected
> with a development release, a few things broke. I managed to fix
> most of them by searching the web for a clue. However, I am stuck
> with gnome-settings-daemon not working. Each time I log on, I get a
> dialogue saying that it has failed to start, and will be started again
> next time I log in.
>
> I have tried creating a new account to make sure that it is not some
> rouge config in my account, and the same thing happens.
>
> Does anybody have a clue what I may need to do to fix this? I must
> have done something wrong as all reports I read on the Internet are
> that 7.10 is working great.

I had this - it turned out to be a name resolution error when my primary
DNS server was down and some timeout in gnome-settings-daemon appeared
to be less than that of the DNS client to query the secondary server. I
also had it on feisty previously after I messed around with the
localhost line in /etc/hosts.

HtH

jfk