Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Laptop

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Laptop
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:54:53 +0100
James Ashburner <hantslug@???> wrote:

> John Lewis has already expressed an interest in this one, I'll let
> you know if it becomes available again.
>
> I have another couple coming up but they're a significantly higher
> spec.
>
> 1 x Compaq Evo N800V
> 1 x Toshiba Satellite Pro A30
>
> The Tosh is going to have a wireless card put in it, the Compaq
> will only take external wireless cards (PCMCIA or USB)

I'll be quite happy to have the higher spec Compaq if there is any
problem with the E500. I am not particularly interested in having a
wireless card as I managed quite well without one in the TP600e.

I managed to b***r up the 600e by being clumsy in replacing the bios
battery and the spare body I was given is in poor external
condition and it doesn't boot reliably else I try switching the main
board from one system to the other.

As I said earlier to James my digital camera died around the same
time as I messed up the laptop and I have limited funds to splash out
on replacements. I certainly cannot afford the T41 I'd really like
to have :-)

The camera ought to be repairable (a switch operated by the lens
cover has failed) but knowing what the attitude to repairing or
replacing is in this modern throw-away society I doubt if it can be,

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package