Re: [Hampshire] Lines, Boxes, Triangles, etc.

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Lines, Boxes, Triangles, etc.
Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 11:41:22AM +0100, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
>> Just a quickie.....
>>
>> I'm used to drawing flow charts, network diagrams, etc. with lots of the
>> above. These are then incorporated into ASCII files, or documents from my
>> favourite word processor.
>>
>> For years I've used a simple DOS program to do this. Can anyone recommend a
>> Linux equivalent?
>
>    There's a list of drawing software on the wiki at [1].

>    Personally, I'd recommend Inkscape of those, although I'm not sure
> how you'd encode a diagram as ASCII art. You can definitely embed
> Inkscape drawings in OpenOffice files, though.

>    Hugo.

> [1] http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SoftwareReviews/VectorGraphics

I use dia for simple network diagrams and organisational charts. It has
a quirky interface but has a reasonably large object library. Its list
of export formats, although long, are a real PITB. Some don't allow you
to specify the bitmap resolution, and I always forget the one that does
when I need it.

Simon