Re: [Hampshire] Meeting this weekend

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Meeting this weekend

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5697c100.hantslug.org.uk.14967': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Oct 6 22:38:09 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Philip,

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 08:53:00PM +0100, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> * Andy Smith (andy@???) wrote:
> > For the LUG, I hope it never is adopted since I don't believe that
> > virtual participants should be able to vote on LUG matters.[1]
>
> I hope that you are in the minority. This LUG started as a mailing
> list, and therefore anybody who participates in that mailing list is
> a valued member of the LUG. I see the meetings as a bit of a bonus
> feature.

Yet I believe that the majority of effort involved in running the
LUG is spent on non-mailing list activities, primarily the planning
and holding of meetings; finding speakers, premises, the recording
of the meetings, re-encoding of those recordings for the web site
and for google video.

People who never attend the meetings have in my opinion far too
little stake - are largely unaffected by any of the issues they
would be voting upon. The only vote in my memory that had any real
impact upon the mailing list was the one about having public list
archives.

I think that in most cases anyone who will really be affected by the
outcome of a given vote could make it to a meeting.

Cheers,
Andy