Re: [Hampshire] eLearning solutions

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] eLearning solutions
On 10/8/07, Samuel Penn <sam@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody have any experience with open source eLearning
> systems? I've found a few via Google, but wondered whether
> anybody here has actually used any (either as a user, or as
> an administrator/trainer) and whether you had any recommendations
> for good ones?
>
> Cheers.

I've used moodle [1] for a couple of projects which has gone down well
with educators as it is supposedly based on a pedagogy, although it
has been a while since I last installed and used it. Moodle is
developed in PHP and uses MySQL as a backend.

I also tried COSE (Java based) some time ago (and even met the team at
Staffs Uni, who were developing it) which was planned to be released
under an open source license, but I don't think it ever was released
under a free license. My impressions of it were that it was clunky and
not intuitive.

I guess my vote would still be with moodle.

HTH.
[1] http://www.moodle.org
--
http://www.monkeez.org