Re: [Hampshire] eLearning solutions

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] eLearning solutions
On Monday 08 October 2007 21:43:58 Adam Cripps wrote:
> On 10/8/07, Samuel Penn <sam@???> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Does anybody have any experience with open source eLearning
> > systems? I've found a few via Google, but wondered whether
> > anybody here has actually used any (either as a user, or as
> > an administrator/trainer) and whether you had any recommendations
> > for good ones?
> >
> > Cheers.
>
> I've used moodle [1] for a couple of projects which has gone down well
> with educators as it is supposedly based on a pedagogy, although it
> has been a while since I last installed and used it. Moodle is
> developed in PHP and uses MySQL as a backend.

Okay, that looks nice. I'll take a look at that. They claim to handle
large sites as well, which is a big bonus.

> I also tried COSE (Java based) some time ago (and even met the team at
> Staffs Uni, who were developing it) which was planned to be released
> under an open source license, but I don't think it ever was released
> under a free license. My impressions of it were that it was clunky and
> not intuitive.

The binary can be downloaded, and they're claiming it will be open source
one day, but no sign when.

Admittedly, I'd prefer a Java solution, since it's easier to hook
into with APIs on the backend, but Moodle does seem to be worth
some investigation.

Thanks.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk