Re: [Hampshire] apt-get pickle

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] apt-get pickle

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58100100.hantslug.org.uk.24854': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Oct 16 13:24:19 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi Sean,

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 13:06 +0100, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Essentially I attempted to beat the rush to Gutsy by upgrading from
> Feisty this morning.

How? Did you manually edit the sources.list and apt-get update &&
apt-get dist-upgrade, or did you use "sudo update-manager -c -d"?

(the latter being recommended, the former not).

> In retrospect I should have first uninstalled the
> nvidia drivers that were installed by Envy on my feisty build, but I am
> afraid that thought only came to me with the benefit of hindsight!

In retrospect I would have advised you not to use envy, or indeed use
the driver direct from nvidia.com in the first place, but we are where
we are.

> Anyway, I suspect the presence of the nvidia drivers upset dpkg and
> caused that component of the upgrade to fall over, necessitating a
> reversion to vesa drivers.

You could alternatively use the "nv" driver in the meantime, which would
probably yield better performance than "vesa".

> I have tried to uninstall (purge, in fact) everything that might be
> causing the following error, but no matter what I do it seems to be
> present in one form or another when I try to install either nvidia-glx
> or nvidia-glx-new.

Envy doesn't use the package manager to install the nvidia driver. It
uses the binary installer from nvidia.com. Yes, in retrospect you could
have uninstalled it using envy, or indeed using the binary manually
downloaded from nvidia.com.

Whilst typing I've just seen your reply come through. So all I'd say is
pick nvidia-glx or nvidia-glx-new (depending on graphics card - you
don't say what you have) and only install from the gutsy repo. Get rid
of the 3rd party cack that is envy.

Cheers,
Al.