[Hampshire] mouse/kernel problem

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] mouse/kernel problem
This problem began with my mouse left button not working - not on the KDE
panel, desktop icons, window closing etc. Thinking the X interface might
be corrupted, I rebooted, but the problem remained.

I then tried to repair the system - SuSE 9.1 (yes, I know it's old, but
up to now it has done what I want it to do). The problem with the mouse
remained, and the only option I could select was New Installation. After
it had finished with the first CD, I got the message:
These packages returned an error
kernel-default

I tried again, with the same result.

It did not say what the error was, but it has left me with no system at
all.

I would be grateful for any advice. (I do not have my own internet connection,
downloading a lot of material would not be practical.)

Peter Alefounder.