Re: [Hampshire] Another Feisty - Gutsy upgrade issue - no so…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Another Feisty - Gutsy upgrade issue - no sound devices or drivers present
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> I have an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard with a Realtek ALC888
> on-board sound card. When I installed Feisty this was detected and
> worked out of the box. Following my upgrade to Gutsy I noticed that
> there were no sound drivers loaded, and googling revealed a problem
> with regard to the hda-intel sound drivers not being present in the
> kernel that ships with Gutsy RC1.
>
> Fortunately I was able to work around it with a manual installation of
> the alsa-[driver|lib|utils]-1.0.15 packages from the ALSA site, but I
> am keen to get away from manually compiling packages to make things
> like sound and video work, and wonder what is likely to happen when
> the problem is eventually fixed by the Ubuntu developers?
>
> Is it a case of wait until it breaks and then fix what I find, or is
> there some way to prepare for more sustainable ALSA driver and kernel
> upgrades going forward?

Just found this:

"These instructions do not interfere with the Ubuntu package structure
or other kernel modules - in other words, the changes seem drastic
however they are simply adding greater functionality to an existing
kernel module."

Which would appear to state I have nothing to worry about.

Sean