RE: [Hampshire] Another Feisty - Gutsy upgrade issue - no so…

Author: Noble R.M.
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] Another Feisty - Gutsy upgrade issue - no sound devices or drivers present

> I have an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard with a Realtek ALC888

on-board
> sound card. When I installed Feisty this was detected and worked out

of
> the box. Following my upgrade to Gutsy I noticed that there were no
> sound drivers loaded, and googling revealed a problem with regard to

the
> hda-intel sound drivers not being present in the kernel that ships

with
> Gutsy RC1.
>
> Fortunately I was able to work around it with a manual installation of

> the alsa-[driver|lib|utils]-1.0.15 packages from the ALSA site, but I

am
> keen to get away from manually compiling packages to make things like
> sound and video work, and wonder what is likely to happen when the
> problem is eventually fixed by the Ubuntu developers?
>
> Is it a case of wait until it breaks and then fix what I find, or is
> there some way to prepare for more sustainable ALSA driver and kernel
> upgrades going forward?
>
> Finally, I guess I should have reported this as a bug or at least

added
> it to an existing report. However, I struggled to find one that stood
> out as being appropriate to my issue. Any pointers there? It's not
> something I have ever really involved myself with, which occurs to me
> upon reflection to be a little selfish.
>
> Sean

I have the Realtek AL887 chipset which has never worked by default in
any ubuntu. A simple compilation of alsa-driver (version 1.0.14 or
higher) has always fixed it no trubs. I've never had any after
compilation problems.

I think feisty and before ships with alsa-driver 1.0.12, and as far as I
am aware, there has never been any major upgrades to alsa available in
the official repos or third party ones for that matter.

Rob

Department of Chemistry
University of Southampton
02380 594676