Re: [Hampshire] Another Feisty - Gutsy upgrade issue - no so…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Another Feisty - Gutsy upgrade issue - no sounddevices or drivers present
Noble R.M. wrote:
> I have the Realtek AL887 chipset which has never worked by default in
> any ubuntu. A simple compilation of alsa-driver (version 1.0.14 or
> higher) has always fixed it no trubs. I've never had any after
> compilation problems.
>
> I think feisty and before ships with alsa-driver 1.0.12, and as far as I
> am aware, there has never been any major upgrades to alsa available in
> the official repos or third party ones for that matter.
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

I have always accepted that brand new or exotic kit might be a little
risky in terms of supported hardware and have been happy to employ
workarounds to facilitate functionality. That said, I feel it's a major
step back when something that worked flawlessly and without effort in
the previous release suddenly winks out of existence as far as the
latest one is concerned.

I can't /really/ complain though - apart from sound and video breaking
everything went quite smoothly!

;o)

Sean