[Hampshire] Another Feisty - Gutsy upgrade issue - no sound …

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Another Feisty - Gutsy upgrade issue - no sound devices or drivers present
I have an ASRock 775Dual-VSTA motherboard with a Realtek ALC888 on-board
sound card. When I installed Feisty this was detected and worked out of
the box. Following my upgrade to Gutsy I noticed that there were no
sound drivers loaded, and googling revealed a problem with regard to the
hda-intel sound drivers not being present in the kernel that ships with
Gutsy RC1.

Fortunately I was able to work around it with a manual installation of
the alsa-[driver|lib|utils]-1.0.15 packages from the ALSA site, but I am
keen to get away from manually compiling packages to make things like
sound and video work, and wonder what is likely to happen when the
problem is eventually fixed by the Ubuntu developers?

Is it a case of wait until it breaks and then fix what I find, or is
there some way to prepare for more sustainable ALSA driver and kernel
upgrades going forward?

Finally, I guess I should have reported this as a bug or at least added
it to an existing report. However, I struggled to find one that stood
out as being appropriate to my issue. Any pointers there? It's not
something I have ever really involved myself with, which occurs to me
upon reflection to be a little selfish.

Sean