Re: [Hampshire] MP3 player with play speed control

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] MP3 player with play speed control
On Monday 22 Oct 2007, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Russell Gadd wrote:
> > I use Windows Media Player to listen to podcasts recorded in MP3
> > format ( in particular http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm ) and
> > am looking for an application in Linux (Ubuntu or Debian) to
> > replace this.
> >
> > One nice feature of WMP is that you can speed up the playback and
> > it seems to recognise that you don't want the corresponding
> > increase in pitch which naturally results from speeding up. I
> > tried the default Ubuntu solution for playing MP3s but it doesn't
> > have a speed control. I found another player but it just runs
> > faster and makes the voices sound like Pinky and Perky.

There are two xmms effect plugins which say they do this (I've not
tried them), see:
http://www.xmms.org/plugins.php?category=effect

One is called sndstretch which is at:
http://www.geocities.com/harpin_floh/sndstretch_page.html

There is an effect in Audacity which allows change of tempo without
changing speed. Of course that would be a permanent change to the
file unless you use Audacity as a player which isn't what it's
designed for.

HTH, Peter