[Hampshire] MP3 player with play speed control

Author: Russell Gadd
To: hampshire lug
Subject: [Hampshire] MP3 player with play speed control
I use Windows Media Player to listen to podcasts recorded in MP3 format ( in
particular http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm ) and am looking for an
application in Linux (Ubuntu or Debian) to replace this.

One nice feature of WMP is that you can speed up the playback and it seems
to recognise that you don't want the corresponding increase in pitch which
naturally results from speeding up. I tried the default Ubuntu solution for
playing MP3s but it doesn't have a speed control. I found another player but
it just runs faster and makes the voices sound like Pinky and Perky.

WMP compensates the pitch and up to a speed of around 2 times (just) it
sounds like normal speech spoken very quickly and you can understand the
speech clearly. The advantage is it cuts down the time required to listen to
a 1 hour podcast significantly. At times I need to replay sections more
slowly when the explanations get a bit complicated, and WMP has a useful
slider to adjust the speed.

Does anyone know of a Linux app which can perform this trick?

Russell Gadd