Re: [Hampshire] MP3 player with play speed control

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] MP3 player with play speed control
Russell Gadd wrote:
> I use Windows Media Player to listen to podcasts recorded in MP3 format
> ( in particular http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm ) and am looking for
> an application in Linux (Ubuntu or Debian) to replace this.
>
> One nice feature of WMP is that you can speed up the playback and it
> seems to recognise that you don't want the corresponding increase in
> pitch which naturally results from speeding up. I tried the default
> Ubuntu solution for playing MP3s but it doesn't have a speed control. I
> found another player but it just runs faster and makes the voices sound
> like Pinky and Perky.
>
> WMP compensates the pitch and up to a speed of around 2 times (just) it
> sounds like normal speech spoken very quickly and you can understand the
> speech clearly. The advantage is it cuts down the time required to
> listen to a 1 hour podcast significantly. At times I need to replay
> sections more slowly when the explanations get a bit complicated, and
> WMP has a useful slider to adjust the speed.
>
> Does anyone know of a Linux app which can perform this trick?
>
> Russell Gadd

Rhythmbox is good at podcasts (if you're of the Gnome persuasion). I
don't think it does the pitch trick yet, but it uses gstreamer, and
http://live.gnome.org/GStreamer/SoC2007 says that there are plans for an
'accelerated playback plugin'. Maybe it will happen one day.

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???