[Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up
I have had to shelve the problem that I was working on (tho' only temporarily)
to try to solve this one:

When I installed Etch, I commented out the /home that Etch had created and
added in the (large) SATA discs I had been using for a while previously. So
my fstab looks like this:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/mapper/Happy_Tux-root /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro
0       1
/dev/hda1       /boot           ext3    defaults        0       2
# /dev/mapper/Happy_Tux-home /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/mapper/Happy_Tux-tmp /tmp            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/mapper/Happy_Tux-usr /usr            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/mapper/Happy_Tux-var /var            ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/mapper/Happy_Tux-swap_1 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/sdb1     /backup         ext3     defaults                     0      0
/dev/sda      /home           ext3     defaults,exec                0      0

The last two entries were copied from my previous installation, which was
working fine from that point of view at least. The /home directory was
immediately picked up and I have been using it.

But when I tried to back up as I did before, using:

cp -Rpu /home/. /backup

I got a lot of overflow errors. (Sorry, I tried, but did not succeed
capturing them. :-( )

And /home and /backup are no longer identically used up; which I would have
thought that they ought to be immediately after I have backed up, as they
always have been before.

[lisi@Tux:~]$ df /backup
/dev/sdb1            241263968  67950076 161058308  30% /backup
[lisi@Tux:~]$ df /home
/dev/sda             241269640  69718384 159295388  31% /home
[lisi@Tux:~]$

I am at a loss to understand what is happening, and therefore to know what to
do about it or what question to ask. :-( Other than: Ought I just to
ignore it and carry on blithely?

Help! This is obviously more important than a missing plug-in, and I want to
get back to sorting out my missing plug-in now I have a chance. :-(

TIA
Lisi