Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange overflow messages when backing up

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56ef8100.hantslug.org.uk.18140': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Nov 2 20:26:20 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Lisi,

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 08:04:50PM +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> But when I tried to back up as I did before, using:
>
> cp -Rpu /home/. /backup
>
> I got a lot of overflow errors. (Sorry, I tried, but did not succeed
> capturing them. :-( )

I'm finding it hard to imagine what could be the problem, so seeing
the exact errors would be really useful.

Also it's a little unusual using an entire disk (/dev/sda) for a
filesystem instead of just a partition of it (e.g. /dev/sda1).
Though it should still work.

Observations not related to your current problem:

I see you are using LVM so I do wonder why you didn't use /dev/sda
as an LVM physical volume, extend the volume group into it and get
your /home as a logical volume then.

I also see several disk devices in use here but can't see any
obvious redunancy (software RAID) - something to be concerned about
unless you're using harwdare RAID.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://bitfolk.com/ -- No-nonsense VPS hosting -- keyid 0x604DE5DB

Warning: This signature not approved by committee; may be confusing and/or
lacking in humour; was constructed in a factory also handling nuts.