Re: [Hampshire] Wireless PCI card for Linux

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless PCI card for Linux
Alex wrote:

> On 11/4/07, *Russell Gadd* <rustleg@???
> <mailto:rustleg@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I shortly expect to have an old Windows 98 PC which is being given
>     away (don't know the precise spec at present) and I thought of
>     putting in a wireless PCI card to connect to our 80211g wireless
>     router and installing Ubuntu to use it for web surfing. Could
>     someone suggest a suitable card or card family or let me know how
>     I can check the spec of a card so it will work with Linux? I might
>     buy something from Ebay. Thanks.

> I've always had a good experience with Linksys. I have several Linksys
> wireless products (router and USB dongle) of which Linux compatability
> has always been fine.

I have two Linksys WMP54G cards here but am struggling to get them to do
anything other than 128-bit WEP with MAC address filtering. Even
obscuring the essid causes them to fall over.

That said they are fairly old and I am pretty lazy - there may well be a
fix out there that has eluded my infrequent attempts to move over to
256-bit WPA-PSK with MAC address filtering.

Sean