Re: [Hampshire] Me, John, Linux and Ubuntu

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Me, John, Linux and Ubuntu
> a) I think it would be stimulating for John to work on a different
> Operating System

It's more than just that; Linux started out very much as a hobbyist's OS,
but is now becoming mainstream. You might have heard of some of its users
- Google, IBM, ...

Now is a brilliant time to start out with Linux - it's much, much simpler
to install and maintain than it was just a few years ago. And learning
about it now will mean not having to learn in a few years' time.

> c) From what I can gather, there are a multitude of programs written
> for Linux which John and I could download from the library internet on
> to a USB memory stick (we plan to get the internet some time in the
> future, budget allowing).

Yep. There is *lots* of Free Software available. Get a big memory stick :-)

> d) I understand that John would be able to use his digital camera via
> USB on Ubuntu and put his photos on to a DVD/CD

Very probably. There is an outside chance of it being a really strange
camera, but everything I've tried in the last 5 years has just worked.

> e) I've been told that Ubuntu has a C compiler built in to it. I think
> that I would enjoy teaching, and John would enjoy learning, C.

Given the nature of Open-Source computing, I doubt you'd find a Linux
distribution that *doesn't* have a C compiler. And a C++ compiler. And
lots of other things besides...

> f) I am interested in the whole OpenSource network idea and think that
> it would be of interest to John. From what I gather, Opensource
> programmes can be customised and improved and then offered back to the
> internet.

Yep.

> I understand that this would be too difficult a process that
> requires a lot of computing skills for John at the moment

Don't underestimate the lad. Participation in a project doesn't
necessarily mean coding; just using a product and feeding back your
experiences is a valuable contribution.

Besides - maybe he'll pick up the coding thang really well :-)

>     What does anyone think about my plan?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?
> Are there any major drawbacks that I am unaware of?

It's a good plan. Your biggest hurdle will be your own uncertainty.

>     If we did decide to get such a set up then would John be able to
> accompany me to some of the HantsLUG meetings

I can't see any problems with that - just be aware that, although we're
usually a pretty well-behaved lot, there is a possibility of him being
exposed to inappropriate language/behaviour. That'll be your call...

> (judging from your
> emails, these would prob. be too technical for the near future)

Not at all. LUG members come in all sorts of ability levels.

>     If anybody can give me some advice that would be very much
> appreciated.

Get a LiveCD of one of the distributions (Ubuntu or Kubuntu would probably
be best if that's what you're planning to use, but there are many
alternatives) & try it out on a passing PC (the point of a LiveCD is that
you don't have to install anything). If it looks like something he'll be
interested in, start sorting a box out :-)

Vic.