Re: [Hampshire] Me, John, Linux and Ubuntu

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Me, John, Linux and Ubuntu
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 15:07:57 +0000
Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:

> Don't be shy to ask for specific stuff here. I myself have managed
> to re-use equipment that others would otherwise have to throw away.
> People will often list excess items that they would rather see used
> before going into a skip.

Indeed, it is surprising what LUG members have or can lay their hands
on that they offer for sale to other members.

I obtained a Compaq Evo N160 laptop a few weeks ago to replace a dying
IBM Thinkpad for the 'enormous' sum of £40 from a LUG member. Almost
within pocket money reach for your John (incidentally I am at the
other end of the age range from John and expecting a great-grandson
to arrive any day now).

Apart from the potential LUG resources Jamies is a good place to go
for desktop systems and will set you up with a box tailored to your
needs. It won't be the fastest system in the world and it won't cope
with the latest games (for which you'd need a fast expensive windows
box anyway) but will do very well as a general purpose Linux box.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package