Re: [Hampshire] Ad-hoc discussion via Pidgin

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ad-hoc discussion via Pidgin

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57568100.hantslug.org.uk.24915': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 8 16:44:49 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 16:26 +0000, Charlie de Courcy wrote:
> Rather interesting!

Yeah, there's also a client called Empathy which does a similar thing
out of the box.

> Does it support file transfer also?

I don't think so, no.

> I've enabled the account but have no buddies listed on the corporate
> network. I'll have to test it with my machines when I get home!

That's what i did. I enabled it on my machine and my wifes, and now when
we're online we get a new category in pidgin called "Bonjour".

> Does it work on IP subnet? What happens if you're directly connected to
> the internet?

I have no idea. :)

At a guess I suspect it uses Avahi in the same way that OSX uses
Rendezvous/Zeroconf to do this ad-hoc stuff. It's similar to the way
that Rhythmbox/Banshee can show you people nearby who have shared their
music out using iTunes(*) or other Rhythmbox/Banshee people.

It's rather cool stuff.

Cheers,
Al.

(*) Except iTunes 7 which Apple have deliberately broken.