Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Gutsy upgrade: problem with loading N…

Author: Alex
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Gutsy upgrade: problem with loading Nvidia module automatically
On Nov 9, 2007 11:16 AM, Adam Cripps <kabads@???> wrote:

> I've just upgraded to Gutsy, with an old Nvidia GE force card. I have
> managed to get X working with Nvidia's installer script (including the
> proprietry driver). However, if I manually type
>
> adam@home:~$ sudo insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
>
> then I can start gdm as normal. But, when I restart the machine I have
> to type this again.
>
> I have nvidia in /etc/modules.

Any reason why you're using the NVidia scripts? Debian has module-assistant,
which is an awesome bit of software to do all this for you. Just work out
the correct legacy drive you need from the apt repository, install your
kernel headers, then as root: m-a a-i nvidia-legacy-XXX and bob's your
uncle.

Alternatively, you can use the 'Proprietary Drivers Manager' which will do
this for you too. Actually, this is recommended in Ubuntu.

None of this annoying break-your-distro stuff.

HTH,

--
Alex Collins