Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Gutsy upgrade: problem with loading N…

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Gutsy upgrade: problem with loading Nvidia module automatically

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57771100.hantslug.org.uk.4563': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Nov 9 11:50:29 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi Adam,

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 11:16 +0000, Adam Cripps wrote:
> I've just upgraded to Gutsy, with an old Nvidia GE force card. I have
> managed to get X working with Nvidia's installer script (including the
> proprietry driver). However, if I manually type
>
> adam@home:~$ sudo insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko

Generally it's not recommended to use the binary driver from nvidia.com
for _exactly_ this reason. It breaks your system during kernel updates.

You're better off using either nvidia-legacy, nvidia-glx or
nvidia-glx-new package (depending on the card you have). The restricted
drivers manager should sort that out for you once you completely remove
the stuff you have installed using the script.

Cheers,
Al.